Where to spend the night with an RV in the USA?
The best way to enjoy your American RV vacation is to stay in campgrounds, particularly those in National Parks and State Parks.
However, if you are travelling on a low budget, here are some possibilities:
The Walmart chain allows RVs to use their parking lots for one night, free of charge.
Be sure to ask the store manager's permission before seting up for the night.
Note that you are not allowed to open any extensions/slide-outs in the Walmart parking lot.
You should also note that not every Walmart store allows overnight parking. Refer to this list of "RV Friendly" Walmart stores for more information.
Become a Passport America member and save up to 50% at a wide selection of campgrounds across the USA.
It is important to note that overnight RV parking is prohibited at roadside rest stops in the USA, except in the following states:
- Illinois (only on Illinois Toll Road)
- Indiana (only on Indiana Toll Road)
- New Mexico
- New York (emergencies only)
- Ohio (only on Ohio Turnpike)
- Oregon (14-hour limit)
In all other states, violators risk receiving a fine if caught.
- Where can I park in the city?
- Child car seats in an RV
- When should I book my RV?
- What is the best time for an RV trip in the USA?
- Should I book the campgrounds ahead of time?
- What is the minimum age for renting an RV?
- Do I need a special driver's license to rent an RV in the USA?